Wednesday, April 30, 2008

Growing

So what are you growing this season?
we have planted in our two garden box's
peas, carrots, eggplant, tomatoes three different kinds. cucumbers, basil, and parsley. I should add that every thing but the peas and carrots have been started. I'm waiting to plant those on a nice sunny day.

At the in laws we have raspberry's, rhubarb corn, squash and more tom's. oh I think they might do a pepper plant as well this year.

I have been toying with using dry beans not the canned type. Also I want to try lentils anyone have a good recipe? I have also been toying with making our own bread. I know it would be better for us and cheaper.

My goal is to have the family eat better. This makes it easier for me to reach my goal of losing 30 more lbs. By my 30th birthday that way we can get started on baby #2. I am down almost 13 lbs the last two weeks have been bad. I think part of it is lack of support in person. Oh well that is a story for another time.



So Shalisa where did you find the tortilla recipe? that sounds like a good idea to make your own.

4 comments:

Princess Talana said...

I finally started our garden this year. Right now I have salad greens, spinach, peas, cauliflower, carrots, kolorhabi, and radishes started in my garden all from seed. I also put in some onion starts, two roma tomato plants, 6 pepper plants (3 different type of bells, 2 poblano, and one banana variety), one artichoke, some chives, and a start of the rhubarb plant that has been with my family for decades and several houses. Waiting until the end of next month before I start my cucumbers, beans, and squash from seed as they have a high rate of rotting. I also started two blueberry bushes that are doing fabulously since I planted them about two months ago. I have strawberries going as well, but they have to be in hanging pots as they were ravaged by raccons last summer on my deck.
I grew up eating almost all our summer meals out of the garden or from meat that we raised and I look forward to eating fresh grown produce again.

Unknown said...

what a nice garden you have started. I want to do Strawberry's not sure where we could fit those.

I started ours from seed in the house. I'm waiting to transplant them.

Shalisa said...

We've got peas, beets, kohlrabi, broccoli, lettuce, carrots and spinach seeds in the ground. We'll add more later as it warms. We have an herb garden this year that has quite a few plants and I think I'll be adding my basil I've started on my windowsill soon. And I'm going to try tomatoes upside downt his year! I'll let you know how it goes.

Bread baking can be as easy or as labor intensive as you like. I just did a no knead sourdough loaf today. Well, I started it last night. It turned out really fantastic. Beautiful and very tasty crusty bread. And All I did was mix it in a bowl and let it sit for 12 hours, then I folded it and let it sit another 2 hours, scraped the dough blob into a corningware dish (although I think le creuset would be better) covered and baked.

I honestly don't know if my tortilla recipe is any better for you. Calories and fat wise. It's just flour, crisco, and water. I have a place to find out the nutritional info on my home recipes...http://www.fitwatch.com/database/analyzer.php

4 cups flour
1 1/2 t. salt
1/4 lb. butter or 1/2 c. shortening

Cut shortening into flour and salt. Mix well, Add enough tepid water to form a soft dough. Knead a few times. Divide into 14 balls the size of an egg. Cover with a towel and let stand 20 minutes. Roll to desired thickness and cook in ungreased skillet on medium. Turn once.

According to my recipe analyzer, they are 200 calories a piece. WAY more than our walmart 90 calorie ones :) I suppose we can work on that recipe though :)

kristi said...

We are growing a lot this year:
lettuce (2 kinds), broccoli, radishes, carrots (2 kinds), green beans, peas, snap peas, melons, tomatoes (2 kinds), peppers, cucumbers, zucchini, spinach, herbs, strawberries, raspberries, blueberries, and I think I'm forgetting some but that should be most of them!